It’s a great question. After all we receive so many newsletters yet we read very few of them. Here are my Top 7 Tips on how to increase the click rate of your customer newsletters.
Tip 1 – Don’t sell
No-one wants to read a long ad about your products or your business but we will read information that:
• Entertains us
• Improves our knowledge on a topic
• Explains how something works
• Provides a different perspective on a subject
• Or perhaps a case study highlighting how a product or service helped someone like us
Tip 2 – Make the content easy to scan
We scan rather than read content as we search for something that interests us. Help your readers by including:
• Bullet points
• Short paragraphs
• Subheadings that summarise the key points
• Simple sentences
Tip 3 – Don’t waffle
Your clients are just like you – they don’t have time to waste. So focus on providing content that will benefit or interest your readers. Keep it concise and to the point.
Tip 4 – Re-use, Re-purpose, Re-cycle
Make the most of your newsletter content by reusing it in different ways and on different platforms. That includes adding each article to your website, posting content on your preferred social media sites and using them as part of an email campaign. Some of our clients print their newsletters to use as targeted direct mail campaigns or as reception reading.
Tip 5 – Know the “why” of your newsletter
In other words, have a clear goal for your newsletter. Popular goals are:
• To display your knowledge and expertise in your field
• To remind customers about your business and what it does
• To demonstrate your innovative thinking or thought leadership
• To provide useful tips or information that could make their day easier
• To explain different ways to use your products or to showcase new products
Tip 6 – Don’t forget the call to action
Including a call to action isn’t selling to your clients. It’s simply telling them what they should do next if they are interested in learning more. Never assume readers will take the leap from reading about you to contacting you or buying your product. Use the call to action to specify the next step.
Tip 7 – Don’t Spam!
Before you embark on any newsletter or email campaign, you need to ensure you comply with anti-spamming regulations. To get you started, download our 7 Tips to Prevent Spamming your Database here.
Could a newsletter help your business?
If you are experiencing low click rates for your current newsletter OR if you are not sure whether a newsletter will work for your business, talk to Karen. She’ll give you an honest assessment of what you could be doing and if a regular newsletter is the best option to grow your business.
For Words that Sell, contact Consider It Done Australia on 1300 780 642 or email email@example.com